Dental veneers are made of porcelain, which is a naturally stain resistant material, however veneers can still accumulate a bit of discoloration over time. To prolong the life of porcelain veneers, patients are advised to take preventative measures. Dr. McKay and team from the Toluca Lake cosmetic dentists have compiled some information on how to keep the veneers white and bright for a very long time!
It is important to care for dental veneers as though they are natural teeth. This entails brushing and flossing at least twice a day, which minimizes plaque buildup. It’s also important to get professional cleanings done at least twice a year. .
Poor dental habits which harm our natural teeth will also damage dental veneers. So keep in mind that if you…
– Open things with your teeth
– Usually chew ice or hard candies
– Chronically grind/clench your teeth
– Bite into nuts and seeds with your front teeth
– you should try to limit these behaviors and preserve the strength of the veneers. Those who regularly grind or clench the teeth are likely suffering from bruxism. It is important to seek treatment from the dentist to minimize the negative effects of bruxism.
The Dentist recommends avoiding overly abrasive toothpastes on dental veneers. It’s also important not to pick at dental restorations with toothpicks or metal objects. These behaviors not only crack or chip the veneers; they may also weaken the surface of veneers which leads to unsightly stains.
Most importantly, remember that our Toluca Lake cosmetic dental office is here to help patients decide whether or not porcelain veneers are the right choice. These restorations effectively correct a single tooth or an entire smile. Call today for more information, or to schedule an appointment. We specialize in helping patients achieve a Hollywood dream smile!